This workshop demonstrates how using the right approach at the right time can help you more intentionally design classroom experiences that hit the surface, deep, and transfer phases of learning. This workshop covers Visible Learning research, its connections to surface, deep, and transfer learning as it relates to literacy, the most impactful approaches to use in each stage of learning, and the tools for measuring your impact on student learning.
- Apply the principles of Visible Learning research to the literacy classroom.
- Understand the three phases of learning and the unique importance of each: surface, deep, and transfer.
- Learn which literacy practices have the greatest impact on student growth (and which have the least) to maximize and strategize teaching time.
- Strategize what practices to implement at the right time in a student’s learning, while keeping rigor in mind.
- Assess the impact of one’s teaching on one’s students—and what to do next as a result.