Bringing 'CLARITY' to the elements that sharpen precision-in-practice ensures knowing 'where to next'. How to gain 'Clarity' is based on a set of interrelated concepts deployed within an evidence-proven framework and implemented consistently and reflectively across systems, schools and classrooms.
This full-day workshop in three parts: 1. Learning; 2. Teaching; and, 3. Leading is built on solid research. There are no silver bullets or commercial programs that lead to continuous student improvement. While individual inferences can be made by interpreting many sources of data or evidence, the real power of data resides in the 'aha' outcomes of collaborative conversations with, and 'roll-up-your sleeves' work of ALL stakeholders.
This day of fast-paced learning will include experiential learning for all participants and provide opportunities for self-reflection. You will leave with a straight-forward path to CLARITY in your next steps.
The Learning Intention
As leaders and teachers, we will learn 'HOW TO' approaches to ensure student growth and increased achievement at every level.
Lyn will be successful in this session if participants can:
- follow and explain the clear path forward to increasing student growth and achievement;
- reflect on their own work, progress and embrace precision-in-practice;
- self-assess their leadership attributes to do improvement work, and
- leave with practical, high-impact approaches that will 'up-shift 'staff, parent, and student perceptions about the value and power of data-informed decision-making and inquiry-based learning.
"As teachers and educational leaders, we have opportunities to shape education for our students' life-long prosperity and our own professional success."
In this workshop you will examine What Matters Most in Learning, Teaching, and Leading including:
- Identifying The Third Teacher
- Being consciously-skilled as a 'Knowledgeable Other'
- Using Accountable Talk
- Putting FACES on the Data
- Developing a Thinking Matrix
- Conducting a Case Management Meeting
- Taking a Learning Walk and Talk
- Asking the 5 Questions of students, teachers and parents
- Hosting a Learning Fair to celebrate big and small wins!
Sessions led by Dr. Lyn Sharratt
Lyn maps the course for achieving student success based on her own research evidence and lived leadership experiences in the highest performing school district in Ontario, Canada (PISA ranks Canada among the top 5 countries in the world - Ontario accounts for much of that ranking). Her research is accumulated from educational practitioners spanning seven countries: Canada, Australia, Chile, Singapore, Switzerland, the United States, and the United Kingdom. She will share provocative commentary from leading practitioners including many Australians via Case Studies, Vignettes, videos and quotes about What Matters Most in ensuring CLARITY to achieve the best possible outcome for every student, teacher and leader!
In her writing and consulting, Lyn includes identifying and leading impactful, practical leadership strategies as well as assessment and instructional practices leaders must master and reflect on while working alongside teachers. Lyn transfers the best of her global experiences into schools and systems here in Australia. They are doing it - successfully. You might be surprised at how practical it is! Let Lyn's "Clarity" 'lift the fog of confusion' resulting from the incoherent messages from dozens of competing and seemingly unrelated notions about improvement in education.
Throughout CLARITY, Lyn Sharratt puts FACES to the message of precision, from students sharing in the construction of Success Criteria, collaborative planning before teaching, assessment and instruction waterfall charts, to walking with Lyn as she works in schools throughout the world…This book is judicious, clear, succinct, the language plain, the incidents linked. Yes, everybody knows about teacher clarity, but too often students do not experience clarity. Thus, this book is for all, new or old, and there is no necessity to "hasten to a close."
Dr. John Hattie - Laureate Professor, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
During a full day together, you will:
- Understand how a commitment to a School and System Improvement Framework allows self-assessment of "where to next";
- Examine ways of putting FACES on the Data and making a commitment to taking action;
- Understand the Professional Learning necessary to become a 'Knowledgeable Other' to walk alongside leaders, teachers and students;
- Appreciate the HOW to increase all students' growth and achievement using a structured, collaboratively-planned approach.
- Consider how students' voices and choices, EARLY and OFTEN, empower students, teachers and leaders in assessing to differentiate instruction.
- Analyze specific Case Studies from her work in Australia in order to apply real learning to your own context;
- Make an individual and team commitment to ensuring every student, teacher and leader is empowered to do 'The Work of Improving Schools and Systems"
Workshop Program - Topics and Activities include:
- Using data to Bump-It-Up at the system, school and classroom levels;
- Unpacking assessment "for" and "as" learning as foundational practice that drives instruction to put FACES on Data.
- Co-Constructing a Thinking Matrix to ensure CLARITY for students and teachers in every classroom;
- Examining Case Studies and video clips that are woven throughout the day.
- Making a commitment to action individually and as a team member.